PWS - Upload Protocol
←Older revision | Newer revision→
Personal Weather Station Upload Protocol
Here is how to create a Personal Weather Station update to wunderground.com:
To upload a weather condition, you make a standard HTTP GET request with the ID, PASSWORD and weather conditions as GET parameters
Here is the URL used in the uploading (if you browse here without parameters you will get a brief usage):
- NOT all fields need to be set, the _required_ elements are:
action [action=updateraw] -- always supply this parameter to indicate you are making a weather observation upload ID [ID as registered by wunderground.com] PASSWORD [PASSWORD registered with this ID, case sensative] dateutc - [YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS (mysql format)] In Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) Not local time winddir - [0-360 instantaneous wind direction] windspeedmph - [mph instantaneous wind speed] windgustmph - [mph current wind gust, using software specific time period] windgustdir - [0-360 using software specific time period] windspdmph_avg2m - [mph 2 minute average wind speed mph] winddir_avg2m - [0-360 2 minute average wind direction] windgustmph_10m - [mph past 10 minutes wind gust mph ] windgustdir_10m - [0-360 past 10 minutes wind gust direction]
humidity - [% outdoor humidity 0-100%] dewptf- [F outdoor dewpoint F]
tempf - [F outdoor temperature] * for extra outdoor sensors use temp2f, temp3f, and so on
rainin - [rain inches over the past hour)] -- the accumulated rainfall in the past 60 min dailyrainin - [rain inches so far today in local time]
baromin - [barometric pressure inches]
weather - [text] -- metar style (+RA) clouds - [text] -- SKC, FEW, SCT, BKN, OVC
soiltempf - [F soil temperature] * for sensors 2,3,4 use soiltemp2f, soiltemp3f, and soiltemp4f soilmoisture - [%] * for sensors 2,3,4 use soilmoisture2, soilmoisture3, and soilmoisture4
leafwetness - [%] + for sensor 2 use leafwetness2
solarradiation - [W/m^2] UV - [index]
visibility - [nm visibility]
indoortempf - [F indoor temperature F] indoorhumidity - [% indoor humidity 0-100]
softwaretype - [text] ie: WeatherLink, VWS, WeatherDisplay
Here is an example of a full URL:
- NOTE: not all fields need to be set
The response from an HTTP GET request contains some debugging data.
RESPONSES and MEANINGS:
- the observation was ingested successfully
"INVALIDPASSWORDID|Password and/or id are incorrect"
- invalid user data entered in the ID and PASSWORD GET parameters
<b>RapidFire Server</b><br><br> <b>usage</b><br>
- the minimum GET parameters ID, PASSWORD, action, and dateutc were not set
RapidFire Updates allow you to update weather station conditions at a frequency up to once observation every 2.5 seconds. Web site visitors will see these observations change in real-time on the wunderground.com site.
- A real-time update should look almost like the standard update.
- However, the server to request is:
- rtupdate.wunderground.com, not weatherstation.wunderground.com
- And, please add to the query string:
- where rtrfreq is the frequency of updates in seconds.
- here is an example:
- We haven't decided whether you should also send standard updates if the user is uploading in real-time. For now, I think we are leaning toward either only sending standard updates, or only sending real-time updates, not requiring that both are sent when the user is in real-time mode. That'll be simpler.