WunderPhotos - Uploading
Back to: Main WunderPhotos
Uploading Photos: DOs and DON'Ts
Here are some DOs and DON'Ts to follow when uploading photos to Weather Underground:
Upload photos you've taken that show outdoor subjects such as weather and nature.
Share your pictures of storm damage and major weather events.
- Our Current Weather and Current Outdoor galleries feature outdoor images taken within the last week, but you may submit older images as well. All uploaded photos are added to our extensive, searchable archive.
Upload photos with the correct date that the photos were taken.
- Photos of storms, floods, fires and other severe weather events, as well as the resulting damage, are Very Important Pictures (VIP) on our website. If a VIP photo is uploaded to our website within one week of the event, it will receive top billing on the "Main Gallery" web page; otherwise, it will at least be searchable as a VIP photo.
- It is very important that the dates are labeled correctly for all photos uploaded to our site. These photos can be found with our historical data for the dates and locations they were taken, so people who would like to know the weather can also see what the weather was like on a given day!
Do not upload obscene or otherwise objectionable imagery.
Do not upload photos of indoor subjects.
- This includes nudity (genitalia and anything else that a bathing suit would cover), gory images, photos that prominently display guns or other weapons or defamatory images. We reserve the right to remove photos at our discretion.
Do not upload an image that isn't yours.
- Exceptions to this rule include images of storm damage and hail, and photos that are uploaded as Portraits.
- If you upload an image you did not take, it will be subject to immediate removal.
How to upload photos
To upload an image to Weather Underground, follow these easy steps:
STEP 1. Sign-in to wunderground.com
- If you are not already a member, create a Weather Underground account. When you sign up, you will choose a handle that will be used to identify you in your Wunder Photos gallery as well as your blog.
STEP 2. Navigate to the Image Upload page
- Click the "Upload your Photos" link in the bottom left corner of any Weather Underground page. It will take you to the Image Upload page.
- You can also get to this page through "My Quick Menu", and selecting "My Photos" from the list. You will see a big "Upload Photos" link in the upper right section of the page.
STEP 3. Select an image to upload
- The MultiUpload page can batch upload up to 10 images at once. Click the "Choose photos to upload" button at the top to begin the uploads. As each photo is uploaded, a thumbnail comes back with a preview of your image. We accept only JPEG and GIF format images for upload.
- (If you are using the legacy upload page (one photo at a time), next to the "File" field, click the "Browse" button and select an image file to upload. To optimize your images for display on our website, re-size them so that the greatest width on any side is 640 pixels. We accept only JPEG and GIF format images for upload.)
STEP 4. Fill-in the rest of the Image Upload form
- The MultiUpload page will display a thumbnail preview of each uploaded photo. Enter the Title and Caption, and click the "Add/Edit Details" button to edit the Camera Type, Date Taken, Location, and Categories for each photo.
- (If you are using the legacy upload page (one photo at a time), Enter the Title, Caption, Date Taken, Camera Type, Location, and Categories related to your photo.)
- Be sure to select categories for your image! Our users often use our Advanced Search to find specific types of images by category. In order to improve the search results for your image, be sure to click all appropriate categories.
- Extra features when using the MultiUpload form:
- Press the "Apply" button to save the details for a photo that you are editing and you can come back later to finish.
- Press the "Apply to All" button to save the details for a photo that you are editing and set those details (Camera Type, Date Taken, Location, Categories) to all other photos that are being uploaded at the same time.
- Press the "Fill From Previous" button to populate the details for this photo with the details from the photo immediately before this one in the upload list (its thumbnail preview will be directly above this one).
STEP 5. Click "Send To Approve Queue"
- If a moderator needs any special consideration when reviewing your photo, you should also write a note in the "Send a Message To the Photo Approver" box at the bottom of the page.
- Once you're finished filling out the Image Upload form, click the Send button once and wait for your photo to upload. This may take a few minutes depending on your connection speed and the size of the image file. Your photo will be sent to the Approval Queue for processing, and you can continue to upload more great photos!