FAQ - Weather stickers
Back to: Main FAQ Page
How to add a free weather sticker to your web page
- Go to http://www.wunderground.com/. In the search box at the top of the page, type in the zip code or city you would like to create a Sticker for, and click "Search".
- On the local weather page for your location, look for and click on the "Make this Location a Weather Stickers" link in the upper right corner above the "Weather at a Glance" section.
- For NEW stickers, you can decide which station's data to use and which unit of measurement. CLASSIC stickers will always display data from whichever station is currently being used as the default for that location. Classic stickers will use the Unit of Measurement that you have selected for viewing the site.
- Decide which Weather Sticker design you'd like to use, then click on it.
- Copy & paste the code provided, and place it in the HTML code for your web page.
How to add a Weather Sticker to your Desktop (Windows only)
- Follow steps 1-3 above.
- Instead of copying all of the code, copy only the URL for the image file. This can be found in the <img src=""> tag, between the "".
- For Windows XP: Right click on your desktop and click "Properties". Go to the Desktop tab, then click the "Customize Desktop..." button. Choose the Web tab, then click on the "New..." button. Paste (Ctrl+V) the URL for the Weather Sticker into the Location box, then click OK. Back in the Desktop Items window, the URL for your Weather Sticker should show with a checked box next to it. Click OK, and it should appear on your Desktop.
- To refresh the image at any time, you can right click on it and choose "Refresh". You may need to change some settings for this Desktop item if you find that it does not update automatically. These settings can be found by clicking on the "Properties..." button in the Desktop Items window.
- You don't have your own homepage on the internet, therefore there is no place to paste the conditions. Unless you can edit the HTML code on a page, you cannot add the sticker. Try bookmarking the City Page, or adding that location to your Wunderground.com favorites.
- The sticker doesn't update. Make sure your web editor didn't put a copy of the image on your server. We keep the images updated on our server, so you need to make sure that the image tag points to the full URL from our site.
- The time doesn't update. Most of our weather stickers display the time of actual observation, and do not change time until the next hourly update.
- The time is incorrect. Here are three possible causes:
- Most of our weather stickers display the time of actual observation, and do not change time until the next hourly update.
- Check that we have your city in the right time zone. If it is incorrect, please report the problem to us.
- The image has been cached. In this case, the time only updates the when the image is first loaded on your page. You should clear the cache in your browser.
- My weather sticker disappeared. Have you installed any kind of advertising blocker recently? The most common cause of disappearing weather stickers is ad blocker software. This type of software looks for commonly occurring images from all types of sites, assumes that they are advertisements, and blocks them. To get weather stickers back, remove the ad-blocking software. Norton Internet Security also blocks banners. To fix, open Norton Internet Security-> click Ad Blocking-> Configure-> Advanced-> Add Site. Enter banners.wunderground.com, then click OK-> click Add Select Permit. Enter /banner/ and click OK. If you don't have any ad-blocking software installed, or removing it does not fix your problem, then it might have just been a transient problem with the weather sticker servers. Please check to see if they are back, and if the problem continues, be sure to let us know!
- There is no link to select a Weather Sticker for the location I would like. The problem is that the reporting station for that location is not sending current conditions data at this point in time. This is the data displayed on our weather stickers, so when it is not available, we remove the link to add a weather sticker. When the data begins to transmit again, you will be able to find the weather sticker link in the center column of the page below the current conditions.
- I would like white text on my Weather Sticker. To get a sticker with light text, follow the regular directions to add a sticker, and choose the normal Weather Sticker style. You can then replace the spot that says "infobox" with "infoboxtr_white".
- I would like to change the language on my Weather Sticker. We changed some of the weather stickers to come up in the language that your browser is set to. This means that if your users have their browser set to English it will come up in English, otherwise it will come up in whatever language is specified in their browser.
If you are a webmaster and you would like to specify the exact language to bring the sticker up in, you need to put new code that specifically specifies English or another language in the URL. Here is an example URL: No particular language:http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/bigwx_cond/language/www/US/CA/San_Francisco.gif http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/bigwx_cond/US/CA/San_Francisco.gif
Force to English:http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/bigwx_cond/language/english/US/CA/San_Francisco.gif